The FamilySearch Community is an online resource that helps people interested in family history connect with each other worldwide. In the community, you can learn research strategies, view genealogy events, join various groups that have the similar interests, and connect with specialized research experts.
Members of the FamilySearch Community can answer questions you may have—and on the flipside, you can help others by sharing what you know. Whether you have questions, need expert help, or want to connect with others who share your passion for family history, the FamilySearch Community is a great place to be!
The FamilySearch Community was recently updated with a new look, additional functionality, and navigation enhancements. The community is now better than ever! Here is a short list of what is new:
- Site navigation is now more visible and located on the left sidebar of the page.
- Searching the community is easier because of the prominent search bar on the home page.
- The Community Hub section announces changes and updates.
- A questions and answers section can be found in the navigation. Each question is sorted into a category (similar to how the Help Center categorizes content) so you can find answers to your questions about specific topics.
- A new Events section allows you to see upcoming events, send an RSVP, and even view recordings of some past events!
- Notification settings have been added. You control the notifications you want to receive. Do you want an email when someone answers your question? You get to choose!
- The update includes an improved mobile experience for easier navigation and greater usability.
- The community has breadcrumbs to show you where you are on the site and help you navigate quickly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How do I get to the new community?
A. You can get to the new community by signing into FamilySearch.org, clicking the Help icon (a question mark in a circle), and selecting Community. Or you can click here.
Q. If I was a FamilySearch Community member before, will I be a member of the new community?
A. Yes! This update will not change your access to the community and the groups you participate in.
Q. With the update, will all my previous activities, questions, answers, and other community contributions be lost?
A. No. FamilySearch will migrate all the current data in the old community to the new platform.
Q. Can I still send messages directly to other community members?
A. Yes! You will still be able to communicate directly with other community members.
Q. Why did the community need to be updated?
A. The FamilySearch Community was updated to accommodate a better experience for all community members. The new platform is more flexible and more user friendly, and it has been designed to allow for quicker and easier updates. Community members can also choose from a wider range of notification options, get support in a fast and timely manner, send an RSVP for events, and even watch event recordings.
Source: Family Search